More consumers are shopping online now than ever. In 2021 alone, e-commerce sales reached a staggering $4.9 trillion worldwide and that number continues to go up.
As a business, you should take advantage of this demand by making sure that you’re capable of processing online payments through a reliable payment gateway. If you’re tagged as a high-risk business, make sure to find the right partner from a list of reputable high-risk merchant account processors.
Here are five simple tips to help you choose the right one for your business.
- Ease of use. When people shop online, they expect everything to be seamless—from browsing through your products to checking out, so you should give them that.
A good payment gateway should be able to offer convenience for both you and your customers. For instance, you don’t want your customers to fill out a lot of forms or be redirected to another page when checking out.
- Security. Consumers are aware that there are many cases of fraud due to online shopping, so they’re also more meticulous about the businesses they’d like to trust with their information.
Choosing a secured payment gateway will not only protect your consumers but also your business from cases of fraud that could cause massive losses and even your reputation. It’s also very important to ask only for minimal personal details because this could lead to abandoned shopping carts.
- Fraud prevention. Aside from the basic security measures, your payment gateway provider should also be able to offer an added layer of fraud prevention for your business. Features like automatically spotting suspicious transactions can do a lot to prevent any data leaks without affecting the level of service you offer to customers.
- Cost. There’s no shortage of choices when it comes to payment gateway providers, but not all of them can give you a good price for their service. The good news is that there are companies that don’t charge a lot but still give you quality, so make sure that you do your research and compare packages before you decide on the right payment gateway provider that fits your business needs.
- Compliance. When you’re processing payments online, your payment gateway will temporarily store your customer’s credit card information to verify the payment.
To make sure that the company will not take advantage of this, it needs to adhere to strict compliance and regulation standards. Finding a payment gateway provider that has built its credibility with good customer service will ensure that you’re working with an ally to success.
As the market continues to evolve, you also need to be on top of your game starting with the right payment gateway provider.
At the end of the day, your success will rely a lot on the people you work with, so take your time in doing research, ask for referrals, compare packages and always trust your instinct when making huge decisions for your business.